LOS ANGELES: Major League Soccer fined David Beckham’s Inter Miami a record $ 2million in the league on Friday for breaking composition and salary rules when signing France international Blaise Matuidi.
Manager Jorge Mas was also fined $ 250,000 and the club’s former general manager and athletic director Paul McDonough was suspended until the end of the 2022 MLS season, the league reported in a statement.
MLS had previously determined that France’s World Cup winner was paid more than expected under the league’s roster and budget rules, effectively giving Miami four “nominated players” last season rather than all three. authorized.
“The integrity of our rules is sacrosanct, and it is a fundamental tenet of our league that our clubs are responsible for adhering to all league rules,” said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. “Our rules will not be compromised.”
The MLS also imposed a reduction of $ 2,271,250 in allowance dollars available for salaries for the 2022 and 2023 seasons.
This could deal a bigger blow to the club’s efforts on the pitch than the $ 2 million fine, which eclipses the previous biggest league fine of $ 150,000, to Real Salt Lake owner Dell Loy Hansen. , for his comments on the collective agreement. negotiations in 2015.
These sanctions reflect the seriousness of Inter Miami’s violations, are expected to encourage full cooperation from all parties in future investigations and will serve as a deterrent for clubs to violate roster rules, ”Garber said.
MLS revealed in March that it would investigate Matuidi’s signing by Inter Miami and in April, the league said it had determined his deal violated roster and salary rules.
Each MLS team is entitled to three designated players whose salary does not count towards the salary cap.
The rule is sometimes referred to as the ‘Beckham rule’ because it was introduced when it was enacted shortly before the former England and Manchester United star joined the league in 2007.
MLS said on Friday its investigation uncovered violations involving player categorizations of Matuidi and former Miami defender Andres Reyes, as well as the underreporting of salary budget amounts for players Leandro Gonzalez Pirez, Nicolas Figal and Julian Carranza.
NO DEFAULT PLAYER
However, the league stressed that none of the club’s players had been investigated, committed a violation or was aware of the violations.
“Their current contracts with MLS remain in full force,” the statement said.
Mas issued a statement acknowledging the club broke MLS roster rules in their inaugural season.
“We have worked closely with MLS to resolve these issues and have made significant changes to our management structure,” he said.
“Following our inaugural season, we took an in-depth look at our football operations leadership group and made decisions that not only strengthened our internal roster compliance measures, but also better positioned ourselves to build a strategy. long-term, sustainable competition with the hiring of Chris Henderson as Director of Football and Sporting Director in 2021.
“Inter Miami are an ambitious club with big aspirations,” Mas said. “We believe that our fan base, our market and our ownership group propel us to become one of the most followed fútbol teams in North America in the world.
“We are committed to supporting our team and building a list of which we are proud.”
MLS said Mas was fined because, as the managing owner, he approved all player-related agreements and transactions and was responsible for ensuring the cub was in compliance.
He cooperated with the investigation, but it was found that he had not disclosed his knowledge of the Matuidi violation “at the appropriate time required by MLS rules.
“The investigation did not reveal any wrongdoing on the part of Inter Miami owners Marcelo Claure, Masayoshi Son, Jose Mas and David Beckham,” the league added.