After the launch of the OnePlus Nord N100 last year, OnePlus decided to continue with a successor in the form of the N200 5G. This handset should not be confused with the OnePlus Nord 2 which is intended for countries other than the United States. The N200 5G is the version that OnePlus introduced to the US market.
If you purchased the phone through a carrier such as T-Mobile or MetroPCS under contract, there is a good chance that the handset’s SIM card is locked on the carrier.
Carriers usually lock the SIM card to prevent customers from reselling the phone or switching to another carrier, but the good news is that unlocking it is actually not that difficult.
There are several ways to unlock the SIM card of the N200 5G. One of them is done through your carrier, which can be a free unlock if you meet the conditions we have listed below, or you can also purchase an unlock code.
Unlocking via your operator
As the OnePlus Nord N200 5G is an operator exclusive to T-Mobile, you will need to meet T-Mobile Requirements to benefit from a SIM unlocking. You can check the company’s website for more details to see if you qualify, or you can also get a more definitive answer by:
- Access your T-Mobile account
- Under Check device unlock status, see if your device is locked or unlocked
- If it’s locked, under the device image you should also see if it can be unlocked
Assuming your device is eligible for a free unlock, here is T-Mobile Instructions on what you need to do next:
- On the OnePlus Nord N200 5G, launch Settings
- Go to Wi-Fi and Internet> SIM and network
- Choose Advanced or Network Unlock, whichever is available to you
- Select Permanent Unlock and wait for the unlocking process to complete
- Restart your device and you should be good to go
Unlocking using Android SIM Unlock
If you don’t meet T-Mobile’s requirements for free SIM unlocking, don’t worry, there are third-party services that work just as well but only cost a small fee.
- Launch the Phone application on the OnePlus Nord N200 5G
- Dial * # 06 #
- Save the IMEI number displayed on your phone
- If you are using T-Mobile, go to the T-Mobile page of Android SIM Unlock, or go to his MetroPCS page if you are using MetroPCS
- Enter the IMEI of your device
- Proceed to checkout and make your payment
- Once the payment has been successfully made, you will only have to wait for the confirmation email
- After receiving the confirmation email, follow the steps on the Android SIM Unlock website to complete the unlock process
- Insert your new SIM card and you should be good to go!
We would like to point out that once the SIM card on your phone is unlocked, it does not release you from any contractual obligations that you may have with your operator. If you’re still stuck in a contract, you’ll have to keep paying for the phone refund. The great thing about SIM unlocking is that it just gives you the freedom to use the phone with the carrier of your choice, which can be useful and a more convenient solution when traveling abroad.